Fugitive priest accused of molestation is sued
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, which brought the Ecuadoran priest to the Twin Cities, is also named in the lawsuit.
By HERÓN MÁRQUEZ ESTRADA, Star Tribune
A 41-year-old priest who fled to Ecuador while being investigated for criminal sexual conduct last year is being sued for allegedly molesting a 4-year-old girl, attorneys for the girl said this afternoon.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, which brought the priest to the Twin Cities as part of an exchange program with an Ecuadoran diocese in 2001, is also named in the civil suit filed by attorney Jeff Anderson of St. Paul.
The suit does not seek any specific monetary relief, but does say it will be asking for more than $50,000.
Details about the suit were provided during a news conference this afternoon in Anderson's St. Paul office.
The suit contends that last February or March the priest, Father Francisco "Fredy" Montero, had sexual contact with the girl, who is listed in the suit simply as "Jane Doe 120."
Anderson also contends in his suit that the alleged abuse took place while Montero was working in the Twin Cities and living with Father Kevin McDonough, vicar general of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
Also named as a defendant in the suit is the diocese of Guaranda in Ecuador, who Anderson said "sent an agent whom they knew or should have known was dangerous and unfit to Minnesota, where they knew he would work with vulnerable adults and youth."
Montero, who left the Twin Cities soon after police in Minneapolis questioned him about the abuse allegations in July 2007, worked for the Church of the Incarnation in Minneapolis, where by all accounts he was quite popular with the many Spanish-speaking members.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Head of Youth Protection Harbored Accused Abuser in His Own Home
What does this say about Abp. Nienstedt? He demoted Fr. Kevin McDonough from Slicker General to Head of Youth Protection?