Friday, January 25, 2008

Keep your head in the game, coach (and out of theological matters)

Well, well, well, St. Louis U basketball coach Rick Majerus is apparently vehemently and publicly a pro-abort. Not a good plan if you live in St. Louis and want to work at a (nominally) Catholic college. Bp. Burke is understandably concerned. See stories here and here. From the second story we get this piece of comedy gold from Coach Rick:
"I'm very respectful to the archbishop," Majerus said. "But I rely on my value judgments, thanks to my education at Marquette, which is a Jesuit institution, just like St. Louis. And that Jesuit education led me to believe that I can make a value judgment. And my value judgment happens to differ from the archbishop's

This is almost as good as this gaffe:
On an interview on ESPN2 while discussing basketball player Rudy Gay, Majerus told commentator Steve Lavin that he was "not a big Gay guy". Lavin was seen trying to stifle laughter while Majerus continued to discuss Rudy Gay (including the fact that Rudy Gay had a "jet body") completely unaware of why Lavin was laughing.

No comments: